Thursday, November 6, 2008

This I believe...

I believe that everyone should live like they are dying. After listening to the song Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw and going through some personal experiences, I realized how short life really can be. I don't think most people understand how fast something can be taken from you, and that when someone is gone, they are gone forever.

A lot of times, people only focus on the past and live their lives regretting things that already happened. This prevents them from excelling today and looking towards the future and the accomplishments they could achieve. Because I lost three members of my extended by the time I was 12, I spent a lot of time wondering what could have been, but after a recent death in my family, I understood that there is really no point in focusing on things that you can't change and wasting energy that could be put towards building new relationships and strengthening the old.

By living in the present, you can make sure that if something ever happened you know you lived your life to the fullest without regrets. The last thing you want is to end up sick, and to think back about your life and wish you would've done things differently.




He said I was in my early forties  with a lot of life before me  when a moment came that stopped me on a dime  and I spent most of the next days looking at the x-rays  Talking bout the options  and talking bout sweet time I asked him when it sank in  that this might really be the real end  how's it hit you when you get that kinda news  man what'd you do   and he said I went sky diving  I went Rocky Mountain climbing  I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fumanchu  and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter  and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying  and he said someday I hope you get the chance  to live like you were dying.  He said I was finally the husband  that most the time I wasn't  and I became a friend a friend would like to have  and all the sudden going fishin  wasn't such an imposition  and I went three times that year I lost my dad  well I finally read the good book  and I took a good long hard look  at what I'd do if I could do it all again   and then  I went sky diving  I went Rocky Mountain climbing  I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fumanchu  and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter  and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying  and he said someday I hope you get the chance  to live like you were dying.  Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about  what'd you do with it what did you do with it  what did I do with it  what would I do with it?   Sky diving  I went Rocky Mountain climbing  I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fumanchu  and then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter  and I watched an eagle as it was flying  and he said someday I hope you get the chance  to live like you were dying. To live like you were dying  To live like you were dying To live like you were dying  To live like you were dying 

7 comments:

Natalie H said...

Hannah,
I really agree with your this I believe statement. I have always really liked that song and it made me think the exact same thing. I even had "live life to the fullest" painted on my wall a long time ago haha.
Well I hope you have a wonderful day!
-Natalie

Morgan said...

Han!

I really like your blog, I think it is so true and you did a really nice job. You are such a fabulous writer and that's actually one of my favorite songs because of the meaning behind it. So I think you made a really good choice for This I believe...
Well I hope you were here today, but I guess I'll see you tomorrow!
-Morgan

Anna said...

This is a great song. I also agree with your I believe statement. I think that everyone should live like they were dying.

Shauna Ohhh said...

Hannah, You are SOOOO right. You have been through tough stuff and i can see why these lyrics inspire you. :)
LOVEEEEEE YOU!
<3 Shauna

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

I do believe most of what you said is true but I think that just because something is in the past doesn't mean that we should forget it and move on. Our past is what makes us who we are. I do think you shouldn't have to always dwell on it all the time though.

Also living life to its fullest is ok. But I believe that you also need to take the time to stop and smell the roses so to speak. You need to be able to stop and have some quiet time for yourself.

Alyssa said...

I love this song! It is so true, and people should really listen carefully to the words, because they aren't just there to rhyme, they make complete sense and should be taken seriously!

-Lyss

Andrew said...

i agree with this and that life should be lived to the to the fullest and not let the little tiny problems worry as much as the big ones