Thursday, December 18, 2008

A time I was aware of my race..

I'm not racist or anything, so I hope no one takes offense to this because it's just something that happened. My friend Kelly was dating this guy named Lawrence, and she convinced me to go to one of his basketball games at MATC. I went because I didn't want her to have to go alone, but I was still pretty nervous because I'm used to being around mostly white people not that I have anything against African-Americans. His entire team was black except for one guy, so mostly everyone watching the game was black. We walked in and it was seriously like something you hear about on a show or in a movie. Everyone stared at us including girls from Lawrence's school. We thought that they would stop staring at us if we sat down but things only got worse. Lucky for us, Lawrence's ex-girlfriend was there who was also white, but she was good friends with all of the girls from his school, so they automatically hated us. We found somewhere to sit only to hear these girls yelling mean things down to us. We didn't know what to do so we just sat there, but they made it pretty clear that we weren't welcome. At the end of the game, we were scared to leave so we waited for Lawrence to get his stuff. Thankfully Lawrence was with us because the girls were waiting right by the door. It was probably one of the most awkward situations I've ever been in, but they were never that mean to us at any of the other games.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

oh my gosh Hannah that would be really scary! I wouldn't know what to do either! But that's very nice of you to go with her so that she could have someone there. =]

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

Nice i don't think i've ever been in a situation like that. it would be pretty scary.

Mr. Kunkle said...

Interesting story, Hannah. Why do you think the other girls at the game acted in such an aggressive manner? Was it race or your friend's status as Lawrence's girlfriend? A combination?

Thanks for sharing this in an honest way.

Winnie K said...

AWKWARD...that kind of wraps up that situation. I feel so bad for you. I would have been terrified during the whole game. You are so lucky that you walked out with Lawrence, cause they probably done who-knows-what to you guys.

Alyssa said...

OMG HANNAH! that would be scary! I mean even if it wasn't african americans in the stands, it would still be scary.

Obviously in this situation it was because you were white, but it just makes me mad that a lot of african americans get really pissed off about racism, but when they do it to us it's ok. but w.e. that's the way it goes.

Atleast you weren't judging. =]

-alyssa

Shauna Ohhh said...

So I thought I already commented on this blog maybe something just didn't work! haha but anyways, I remember you telling me about this story! I thought that it was very nice of you to go with kell tho! :)

Keenen D said...

Ha this is funny. I can totally see that. All of those East people watching the game, while Lawrence's little "white" girls are sitting there watching him.

Luckily you guys didn't get into a fight or anything. Crazy story though, I would of hated to be in that situation.